Friday, May 11, 2007

I Just Got My First Real Job!

Woo hoo! I just landed my first "real" job - and I go in on Monday!

My new title is "Paraplanner". Paraplanners create financial plans and make client contact for Financial Planners. I suppose it's analogous to paralegal. Anyways, my tasks will be to create account reviews and financial plans, complete my industry licencing, and get trained to move up to being a full-fledged Financial Planner.

I'm working at Fat Cat Financial, a small independent financial planning firm located in a good-sized college town. They have a great marketing plan and growth prospects, want me on a promotion track, and are conveniently located near my house. In short, getting a job there is the chance of a lifetime.

My employment package includes four weeks of annual paid vacation per year, with the possibility of earning up to two more. I also have health insurance and a cafeteria plan that includes vision, dental, life, short and long term disability, a SIMPLE IRA and more. The only negative is that I'm being paid $26,000, instead of the $30,000 I was shooting for. I have the capacity to increase my pay, though, as I become more valuable, and I think it's balanced out by the rest of the package. By no means am I complaining: I have a great job.

This will be my last weekend unemployed. I can't say I'll miss it.

No comments: